Sunday, January 17, 2010

What Really Matters...

Today I went to visit a church with Vanessa and Rae. The church service was good, the music was awesome and the pastor is honestly just a guy that is passionate and driven and just great. It was nice. After that, we had lunch and we were talking about a college group that's coming out in March and what they were going to do be going and then Haiti was brought up. Talk about heart breaking, I don't know that it was necessarily the conversation or really just my heart. I have thought about it since DJ Franny mentioned it the other day on the radio, since my mom was talking about the missionary that my home church in Georgia supports who lives in Haiti, since God has more than given me a heart for humanitarian aid and just people in general really. I have thought about what I could do, what my kids could do and what we as people should do.... because I decided today as I have several times before that I want my life to matter. I want to do things because of Jesus and people be changed by it. I want to remember that His glory is what matters and that ultimate glory comes because of His children. We have been chosen to do what matters, to think about what matters, to be about what matters, to serve and live and love those around us, including those in other countries. I sometimes think that what I do makes no difference but that is honestly only because I choose to not make a difference. So today I am choosing to make a difference, I will choose to do what really matters, to talk and advocate for things that really matter... like AIDS, hunger, clean water, tsunamis, earthquakes, poverty, people and right now, an earthquake in Haiti that has killed almost 100,000 people.

Encouragement for the day: Do what really matters. "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." -Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment