Thursday, January 21, 2010

Legacy.

I sat in a room today of grief and mourning, of sorrow and tears, yet I have not felt in a long time that I actually know someone who leaves behind a great legacy of love, happiness, smiles, and good laughs. It is always awkward for people to talk to you after someone in your family has passed, it's like they're at a loss of words, I completely understand because I have been in that same place. You walk through the line apologize and tell them how great he or she was but you're sometimes not sure if you meant what you said or you said what you meant. However, I believe that last night as I was standing in the line next to Cole and Trista and Courtney at the receiving friends for Poppa that what they said they meant, what they meant they said. "He was a good man." "He was always a jokester." "He loved you grandkids more than anything." "You know he loved you, he talked about you all the time." "You were so blessed to have such a great grandad." "We're really going to miss him." "He is really going to be missed." "He was such a sweet man." "He always asked how my family was." Poppa was a man who genuinely cared about people and he showed it, now whether he was always that way? I don't know but I know that he has showed more love and affection than almost any other granddad on earth and I'm not just saying that because he's mine. I'm saying that because it's true. We knew, I know, that he absolutely loved me... that he was very proud of me... that he missed me while I was in Vegas... that he was so glad that school was going good for me... that he was glad I liked church in Vegas... that he was glad I had good friends in Vegas... he was proud that I graduated high school and college and he was proud that I had a job I loved. Most people don't get the blessing of having a grandfather like Poppa but I did and I am so thankful that he taught me the things that he did and that he loved me the way he did. He left a pure hearted, loving legacy on everyone around him and Gammy even said today that he would be so excited to know how many flowers he had gotten because he didn't think anyone would care. I think what he did, he will never know the consequences of or the effects or the ending but I'm glad I got to see a glimpse of it and I got to see a part of it. He lived his life on purpose. Dale, who did part of the funeral today, talked about how Poppa used to ask him to pray for his brothers and sister, especially if something had happened. I never even knew that... he always told Dale that God had a purpose and I am proud that I had Poppa as a significant part of my life. I may have been a huge change in his life when I was born, but I know that he has a great, great impact on mine and will continue to do so as I choose to live in a way that people will want more of and I will love in a way that people will see is different. I know you're in Heaven Poppa, and I know you're talking with Billy and walking with Connie and her kids... believe me, we are so proud to have you and so thankful that you played such a big part in our lives. You will never, ever be forgotten and you will be greatly missed. I love you, I really, really do.
-Melissa "Missy" or "Sassy"

No comments:

Post a Comment