Saturday, May 31, 2014

Jesus is it.

This morning, I was doing my regular social media check on EVERYTHING... Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and I came across this: 

"In the difficult moments of life, Christians can turn to the Mother of God and find protection and care." -Pope Francis, @Pontifex (Twitter)

There are many, MANY things that I agree with Pope Francis about. I HIGHLY admire his commitment to social justice, his care for people, and that he is a barrier breaker. He is the first in many, many years to be from Latin America and I think it could represent a strong turning point in the Catholic church in the West. He has focused on family, poverty, and taking care of people around the world through prayer and service. 

However, when I read the Old Testament (before Mary was even born), I find that the Psalmist loved and knew a protecting FATHER well. When I read the New Testament, I find that Jesus loved and knew a protecting FATHER well. 

Already, this morning, before 9:00 am, I have successfully thrown myself a pity party (and eaten chocolate cereal-thank you very much!) and have lived in my own pit. A pit in which I successfully jumped in myself with no help or other assistance needed. 

So the question is: who can save me from this/these pit/pits? 

A. Me
B. You
C. the Mother of God
D. Jesus

(A) Absolutely not. I usually jump into pits on my own. I usually bury myself in them and dig them deeper. How in the heck of a world am I going to save myself from this pit? I can't, I won't and I'm terrible at it. Wrong answer.

(B) You. I trust you (somewhat because I'm an not easy to trust kind of girl). However, it may have been you that encouraged me to jump in to begin with and while you can also encourage me to get out, if you jump in to get me-- I've got news for you! You're in it too! So now, we both need rescuing, what a successful mess we made! Also, you're living in your own jumping in pits scheme. We need to encourage one another but I can't say you're going to help too much. To be honest. (No hard feelings implied.) 

(C) the Mother of God. Again, I trust Mary-- she birthed Jesus. She was chosen by God for a great task and she was a loving, comforting mother for Jesus on Earth but she could not save Him from the cross. She could not protect him or herself from heart break. She cannot protect me either. She's in Heaven worshipping Jesus! She's kind of busy at the moment. Her story may provide great encouragement to prove that God chooses us for amazing things when we are obedient to Him but Mary cannot save me. She cannot rescue me from the pit and she cannot protect me from the darkness of the world. 

(D) Jesus. Yes! The one and only. The creator of the world. The oneness of God and the Holy Spirit. The best of every situation and the lover of our wretched souls. He is it. He is the only one deemed as the rescuer of my soul. The only one who loves me enough to not leave me where I'm at. The only one who can see the future and what's best for me. The only one who provides the GRACE needed for my unforgiving, unpardonable, guilty conscience. Right answer. He is it. 

"To you, O LORD, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy: What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? Will the dust proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help. You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever." Psalm 30: 8-12

How beautiful is the grace of Jesus. How protecting is our Father. How sweet is our Master to watch over us and give us peace. How merciful is the love of our Lord to love us even still. 

Jesus is it and that is all. May His protection and care be enough for each and everyone of us. -Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment