Tuesday, November 27, 2012

He loves.

Two summers ago, I stood in front of a group of around 50 teenage to young 20-something girls. I knew I was going to be in that position all 6 weeks I spent in South Africa but writing down what to say and actually saying it are nerve racking and completely different.

I was in a church in Kabwe, Zambia. I had just spent 6 weeks with a sweet missionary family homeschooling their preteen girls. I had planned what I was going to say in Zambia during that time but couldn't have planned for the emotions that came with it.

During college, I worked at a church in Tennessee with teen girls--- I love,love, loved that job and still adore those girls. They changed my life. After moving to Vegas, I worked with girls for about a year as a volunteer at Hope until I felt God said step out for a season. I did, trusting that He knew something I didn't. He did, of course. During those following three years until I was speaking to girls in Africa, He did a lot in me, including stirring my heart for the nations, the lost and people who just needed someone, including the homeless. I served the city in my school and with my kids and it did something different in me but I desperately missed the connection that I had with girls to pour into.

I had no idea he would have my heart stilled for a period of time so He could use me in Zambia. I stood before the girls and shared my heartbreaks, thoughts on relationships and pursuing purity and above all else, pursuing Jesus. At the end, I taught them the chorus to "How He Loves." They sounded beautiful and I couldn't help but step back and thank Jesus selfishly for reminding me of how much He loved me. I pray that God continues to use those words to sing a sweet Zambian girl to sleep to remind her of His deep and vast love for her.

He brought this to mind again tonight and as I sat back in my bed singing my thanks to Him for loving me. I felt an urgency to share this. I pray that you would know the same. I pray Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3:17-19, "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

He does love you. -Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment