Friday, November 23, 2012

Wonderful

It is the season that most of us either go crazy (and broke) by stressing out about gifts for people in our lives that we want to show love to or we sit back and really enjoy the lights, the music, the busyness of everyone, the baking and so on. Some people really take this time of year to be reminded of how grateful they are for what they have and what they have had. Since I didn't go home to Georgia, I have a lot of time this weekend to work on homework for my Master's program and another online class (Desperately need this time to catch up and get ahead) while also spending some time with friends and my adopted family here in Vegas.

Yesterday, I spent the morning getting my Thanksgiving portion of the meal ready and cleaning up my apartment a bit. I went to a fabulous late lunch Thanksgiving with my adopted family here and then went to see Lincoln with a couple of friends. (Sidenote: See it, don't wait, it's good... I wish I could sit down face to face and talk to Lincoln especially after watching that. He was one of the greatest movers and shakers of all time.) They were going to hit the early Black Friday rush and asked me if I wanted to join. I did so we went to Target and Old Navy, spent the majority of our time standing in line but people were actually overall kind and no one was too pushy. We had a lot of funny conversation and those around us joined in a couple of times. I got home around 2am and went to sleep finally around 3am because I hit my wired point by the time we were done. I got a few things but it was the time spent with friends that was valuable.

Today, as I sit at home watching some Netflix and getting ready to do some homework, I thought of the hymn, "His Name is Wonderful." There are so many hymns that I remember from when I was in middle school and high school because that's what we sang at my home church. The lyrics are...

"His Name is Wonderful,
His Name is Wonderful,
His Name is Wonderful,
Jesus, my Lord.

He is the mighty King,
Master of everything,
His Name is Wonderful,
Jesus, my Lord.

He's the Great Shepherd,
The Rocky of all Ages,
Almighty God is He.

Bow down before Him,
Love and adore Him,
His Name is Wonderful,
Jesus, my Lord."

As I sit and think on this long weekend and the season we are in, I think I must remember what it (and every other season of my life) is about. He is wonderful. He knows our deepest needs and that need is not the sweater on sale at the mall.  May He protect you and demonstrate His faithfulness to you in this season as He continually does to me. I am grateful that He is wonderful. -Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment