Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Serenity Prayer

2012 was great. It ended on quite an exhausting note and while I am disappointed that we don't have flying cars and robot maids, I guess we will all survive. I mean after all, in 2012 alone, we survived one mans prediction the world was going to end and the end of the Mayan calendar, right? I'm starting to think that Justin Bieber might be right in partying like its 3012 because we are now one year closer. I learned a lot in 2012 about myself, what I want, what I don't want and why I tend to lean toward each side. I've learned even more to never pray for patience, because honestly it just makes everyone upset. ;) it's been an emotional roller coaster and I feel like I haven't had too many dreams hit the hay but resurge. There are lots of things I want to see happen in 2013. Some things I control and some I do not.

I was thinking about this on the way to Starbucks this morning to meet Abby for our short Atlanta road trip. New Years tends to make us focus on what things we need to change, what we need to do to progress, how we've digressed. New Years is a time of reflection and as I reflect on change, how it's affected me in 2012, and how it hadn't affected me, I think of the lines of a prayer commonly titled the "Serenity Prayer." The poem says,
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to accept the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Basically, this year I'm asking for discernment. If you sit with me for more than 10 minutes, you probably pick up on things I'm passionate about. Most of these things are because I realistically believe something in this thing, person, or idea can be changed. BUT sometimes, it can't be and instead of spending my time and energy there, I should spend it on building courage for things that can be changed. I have to choose which battles to fight. The ones that are out of my control are not worth fighting. Those battles look different for me and you. What are your battles, changes, and places you need courage? I am praying this year that God springs up new things , sets captives free and restores the broken. I'm also praying that in the midst of all of those things, He uses my life as a tool for His Kingdom and I need discernment on where that is and what that is. Wishing you a happy New Year, the discernment to know which things to change and the willingness to fight the hard battles. Love you and happiest of New Years to you.

Bring it on 2013!! -Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment