Monday, August 10, 2009

Rants of Education... Somewhat

Teaching... I know I have said this before but I am amazed that I could love my job this much. I was so distraught yesterday when my sister and I were walking here in D.C. behind a girl who said, "I mean, what am I supposed to do? I am only a teacher. I only have 20 kids that I can influence and really, what change will that bring about?" If you are in a career like education or anything with people quite honestly and you start thinking that way, please quit for the sake of the rest of us so that you don't impose your miserable-ness on the rest of the world. Let me rant for a second and let's do the math.... Let's say that I have about 160 kids that walk in my door. Yes, I am a realist and realize that everyone of them will not change because of what I do or say and so on, but let's just think. I have the chance or rather opportunity to impact 160 kids. Chances are that those 160 kids have at least one parent, so that's 160 more people, more than likely they average to at least one sibiling, and they at least (AT LEAST) have 2 friends. 160 kids in my classroom plus 160 parents plus 160 sibilings plus 320 friends. That adds up to 800 people. 800. So yes, she only has 20 kids but she has the chance to impact 120 people because of those 20 kids! And let's say she's taught for 4 years, that means she has had the chance to impact 480 people! We need to change our perspective and stop acting like the world is going to change without someone attempting to make a difference. I mean who wants to live life full of nothingness without every effecting anyone? I would dare say that if we were honest with ourselves, we would hope that we could look at the last week and see how something in us changed or someone else changed because of us. It's about education, yes, but it's about you just as much. Think about it.... change your perspective so that someone else can be changed by you!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi

Stop standing around and do something! -Melis

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Tell 'em! You are right in every way.
    "Never lose a chance of saying a kind word. It just may change the world."
    William Thackeray

    ReplyDelete