Monday, July 29, 2013

So much more than $3,000 and a card.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at camp with High schoolers from Hope in Las Vegas. The camp was CIY Move. It was incredible to say the least, I wrote a bit about my learned experiences there two blogs ago and the impact summer camp has had on my life in general. Although I've attended and worked at multiple summer camps, I think this one takes the cake overall. And it wasn't because there was a huge band or the most amazing speaker ever, or we raised a million dollars. It was because God's Spirit was at work... In students, leaders, youth pastors, speakers, worship leaders, etc. 

The whole week is a push for being a #kingdomworker. What is a kingdom worker you might ask?? Basically anyone who uses his or her talents, passions, job, place of influence to impact the world for God's Kingdom and, ultimately, eternal value. At the end of the week, everyone receives a #kingdomworker card. This card has a challenge for the next year. It's every persons choice whether to accept it or not. I chose to open my envelope. I was expecting to get one that said drink water for a year but no, it didn't. It said "Raise $3,000..." Stop right there, hold up, what? Yes that was only the beginning, slight panic attack. I hate fundraising. I don't like asking people for money. It's uncomfortable. So the card reads basically to raise $3,000 for a missionary our church supports. Contact and pray for them monthly. Wow. Yes a significant challenge. 

Once I had decided, I was committed to this, I got caught up on who. God placed a missionary on my heart who I worked with when I was in Africa in the summer of 2009. Still praying to confirm that and planning on getting information from this missionary soon about specific needs. I'll be raising money for the next year. I will also be raising money for a trip to Africa myself and a team next summer. Details for that are also in the works but I will keep you updated. Please pray about how you would join me: will you buy something I create? Give monthly? Pray for the missionary? Host a fundraiser for you and a group of friends?

I'm begging you to join me on this year-long adventure. In some way that is meaningful to you. The Kingdom of God is beyond our word of "big." He knows what you're going to do and how you will be impacted. Listen to His Voice and pray for me to be sensitive too! Praying now! 

-Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment