Saturday, February 27, 2010

Refresh

I have made a decision. I need to figure out what to choose though. Let's start at the beginning. I have made a decision. I have made a decision that I am going to apply for the Pepsi Refresh Project. You are saying, what are you doing with this project? And I am telling you, "I will decide in the next 48 hours." Monday is March 1st... that means that Pepsi Refresh accepts the first 1000 ideas... I mean honestly, I don't know how fast it fills up but I want to be prepared. So they give out grants of up to $250,000... holy cow, that's a lot.... now could I think up a project to work with that much money? Of course... do I want to? Not sure about that. That much money scares me a little bit.... but because that is quite large, there are smaller sums as well... so I have ideas... I just need to decide which idea is the most important.... then when I decide, I need to be able to talk everyone else into this idea so that it gets a lot a lot a lot of votes so that I can actually receive the grant. So these are my ideas... (Pepsi says they can be simple so some of them are.)
1. Graffiti cleanup
2. Buying an empty warehouse and letting graffiti artists paint in it as a museum of sorts... (I want to do this but I'm not sure I am responsible enough to be in charge of such a large project)
3. Extreme home makeover for some of my kids at school and the people in our community
4. A huge carnival to raise money for causes like Darfur, or Haiti, or Chile, or something very important... and then beginning a non-profit called "Speak Up" that challenges middle school and high school students to 'speak up' for what is right and a call to awareness of issues around the world.
5. Building a youth recreation center that is free of charge that students would volunteer at... to be used as a mentoring place for elementary school students
6. or anything else that comes to my mind within the next 24 hours...
Tomorrow I will try and make a decision... then Monday... I will apply... yes, I know this is all of a sudden, but it is one more effort to be change so that the people around me want to see change as well... I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight but I will probably dream about it.
Let me know your thoughts! -Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment