Saturday, January 4, 2014

Life is weird and other thought provoking ideas.

Today, I was straightening my hair and looking at myself in the mirror for obvious reasons. So I don't burn my hair out, so I don't straighten my ear, etc. and then I started realizing how many thoughts I was thinking at that moment. I had to laugh because they were mostly ridiculous and unrealistic but they did exist for those few moments. And then I began thinking (as I was last week and every day since) that life is just really strange. I am really strange. I don't like my strangeness sometimes and other times I'm very proud of the weird thoughts inside my head. I also realized that I do not see myself the way others see me. And sometimes I forget how much other people do know about me despite what I wish they didn't but that's kind of something I can't do anything about at this point. I've jumped into many pits at my own expense with several onlookers and I can't really take those moments back. Then I thought maybe I just need to be more honest about my own stupidity. So here are 14 things you may or may not know about me. Mostly things before college even. Some short. Some not. And if you didn't think life was weird before, here's some evidence for that topic. 

1. Until 8th grade, my hair was all the way down to my waist. No, I'm not kidding. No, I didn't have a problem going to the bathroom. (I used to be so offended when people asked me STUPID questions like that- for heaven's sake, I was potentially the most naive person on the planet.) 

2. I only remember a few things about elementary school: the time one of the girls found hair in her spaghetti and we all rebelled, wearing heels to school and being sorely embarrassed, and the time I almost passed out on the playground because I made a B. There are a few other memories but I will not bore you with those today. Oh, one time we had a blizzard and Brittney was spending the night so she spent half the week. That was fun. 

3. I hated middle school. I hated PE. I hated locker rooms. I hated a lot of things about middle school. I had a lot of friends but there's something about those years that I do not remember fondly. Oh wait, it was the basketball in my face in 6th grade. So PE was a little intense. 

4. I was a cheerleader. No, I wasn't cute and funny most of the time. I laughed a lot when I should have been cheering and no, I cannot do a cartwheel. 

5. On Sundays, my sister and I would watch a movie in the afternoon and I would usually fall asleep on the rug under the coffee table. 

6. One time during summer, my cousin and I met this guy on the beach and my family thought we went missing and couldn't find us. He just rented jet skis. We came back to them yelling our names. We were kind of idiots then.

7. In high school, I was a bit boy crazy. Nothing serious. Just some boyfriends and homecoming/Prom dates. I was crazy/a little obsessed. 

8. The last dance of my 8th grade dance (as I remember) was the song that says, "I'm leaving on a jet plane" which is so weird because we all went to the same high school after that and I'm not sure anyone went anywhere on a plane at all. 

9. I figured out Jesus in high school. It changed a lot for me and gave me a great youth group, FCA group, and fun summer camps. 

10. I sang in middle school and high school choir but never made Allstate. I could always repeat tones but I was not very good at reading music and I was as nervous as heck.

11. One time I had to be in a pageant. That was weird and I did not belong there. I'm pretty sure knowing myself now, I smirked at the judges so as not to move on and because I was mortified.

12. I used to not like having freckles or moles. Now I realize most people actually like them. I still don't think I completely understand that. 

13. I loved school and my amounts of reading are still inspired by my 2nd grade teacher who was like the teacher on Matilda. 

14. Lastly, I didn't realize how much laughing made a difference but those 13 years brought about lots of laughter and smiles for me and several of my closest friends. 

It seems that at some points, I have resented how weird I feel like life has been but then I think in some way or another, life is strange for everyone just in different ways and I'm thankful for the weirdness that has kind of come full circle for me. Hope you were able to join me in laughing and reminiscing a bit. I'll catch up on more memories later!

Still laughing at how weird life is- Melis 

No comments:

Post a Comment