Monday, January 6, 2014

10 Days of Silent Social Media

I am addicted to social media. 

There. I said it. I don't like the addiction but it does exist. And it's about time we own up to the things we need help with. 

Social media has created in me this disdain for my, often, very ordinary life. My Nothing significant or special becomes weighed against everyone's extraordinary. But enough has gotten to be enough. When I wake up and the first thing I do is check social media, there is a problem for me. And if that game starts early enough, it takes down my whole morning and possibly day depending on the updates. 

I have found that 1 of 2 things will quickly ruin me in this area. 

1. I literally have the ability to make up a romantic comedy about my life within minutes of meeting a single guy. This is embarrassing but I know I'm not the only one that lives there. The worst part is that I usually know this person from some sort of social media: a tagged picture, a comment on an Instagram or a mention in a tweet. Now is that insane or what? I kind of feel like I know the person already when really I'm completely clueless!! And that's not even the point. Social media has made me obsessive over relationships and that is just straight up unhealthy. It allows Satan to lie to me about my worth, what I deserve and don't deserve, how messed up I am or how much I need "this man" who is not a horrible human being but just doesn't love Jesus. Do I need to explain myself any further??

2. The other thing I've found that has become a major issue is the ongoing comparison game I've begun playing with people who don't know they're in the game. I have become a jealous mean girl in my mind and believe me, my mind is a very wide open pit already, so jealousy, envy and the green of deceit oozes real deep when I get caught up in social media. It makes me want a romantic comedy movie relationship, a friendship that's my everlasting best friend in the whole entire world, a job where I do nothing but take pictures of myself in 4 million places in one week, a landscape that only has inspiring quotes,.... and I could go on and on. It is a terrible place to find yourself in because when I begin thinking normally like a sane human being, I realize how detrimental the comparison game is to my identity. I wish I were someone else sometimes and that is just not what I was created for. 

I was created to love God as myself, understanding that this is my full purpose. Everything else will come brewing out of that sweet relationship.... And when it doesn't, God usually puts His hand over my ongoing blabbering mouth and says, "Wait. Like I told you before," or "No. Like I told you before." He usually doesn't wait to answer me but I wait until I hear what I want to hear and the bottom line is he's been speaking to me about this social media thing for a while. It's time to go all in.

So... With that being said, for the next 10 days (starting tomorrow), I will be silent on social media. Including my Twitter account where I will wonder what everyone is doing every 5 seconds. Including my Facebook, where things constantly change and I never get to what I'm supposed to be looking at or doing. Including my Instagram, where I know what everyone's eating and what the sunset looks like every day. And lastly, I will give up Pinterest, secret boards and dreamy, unrealistic hair and save those moments for later. I will check my email and will use text and calling (I'm not sure if you know what this is!! Ha) so I am still able to be contacted. I will not obsess over texting either because that's a whole soapbox in itself that I will save for a holiday or a Friday. Seems appropriate. 

Join me maybe? -Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment