Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Marital status: Highest tax paying bracket

I sat here thinking about recent posts, why I should do my homework, why the mean girls stay until the end of bachelor (until now-- thank you Sean!!), why I'm in a bad mood the afternoon on the day before an event and why every year, I want to validly boycott Valentine's Day. Why I want to wear all black to school tomorrow. Why my kids will give me candy I will never eat. Why I would like to go to Olive Garden for dinner, possibly alone.

The real question you're all asking... Mentally or you've verbally asked before.... "Why are you still single? Are you ever going to get married? Why do you have such high standards?" I usually walk away from these conversations with the satisfaction I have done one of two things: given you an extremely sarcastic answer OR looked at you like you were insane. When I'm walking away, there are always tears. Guaranteed. Maybe not that second but at some point, yes. So even though, I've probably been inhumanly rude, I am deeply hurt.

I am at my best to believe and trust God knows what's best for me. With that being said, that's why I'm single. God is not finished with my singleness. I don't buy into the "Run away into the world and live your single life for Jesus!" Even though I know it appears in retrospect that's exactly what I've done. I also don't buy into the "You're 28 and don't have much time left." On who's time table are we working here?? I do choose to live my life keenly aware of glorifying God (although hot mess may be a more accurate description). I will do that single or in a relationship. I can trust God now, while being single, or at some point, in a relationship. God knows what's best for me now and He will then. He hasn't lost sight of His love for me, and He will not.

So please. Instead of asking me (or any other single friends either) why we're single...Why don't you NOT tell us why we're single? We've already thought through every reason in the universe... And don't need another one to think or dwell on. Why don't you ask us what we are praying for? Why don't you just pray for us? Why don't you assure us that God is surely in the works of something that fulfills our hearts' desires beyond our wildest dreams? We know we're single... But help clarify our vision for Him and our hope in Him.

We need people who assure us of Gods best for us. We don't need people who lead us to be confused and doubt what God is doing in us.

A man who can sing and love Jesus is coming for me. There will be pictures. I will be wearing a white dress that will be stunning and he will be hot so prepare yourselves. We will probably laugh at our wedding, a lot, so don't assume we're being rude or offensive. I will be feisty, and he will be patient, and opposite. FYI: It will probably be his fault I'm feisty.

That's what you can pray for. God's best for me. That's why I'm single. I'm waiting for God's best for me. -Melis

1 comment:

  1. Amen! As a 30 year old that had never been kissed, I had wanted to say the same thing. While people mean well, their words are inadvertently hurtful. I would add though that if you married your spouse before the age of 24, it is not comforting to hear how long you had to wait... LOL!

    In all seriousness, your words are true. God is a good father who is a sucker for a great love story. He knows the who AND the when. The who will arrive when its the right time. In the mean time, he is busy conforming both people into the likeness of his image. When it does happen, you will say, "Now I get why I had to wait until now!" He will get the glory and you will get the blessing.

    Blessing on all the God has in store. My eyes will be peeled for any patient men that like feisty women. ;)

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete