Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To Belong...

Maybe my next few blogs will be titled "To (something)" because I just feel like it! For those of you who read my blog on a regular basis, you know well that I enjoy lists maybe too much... I had almost forgotten (I know you're wondering how I could forget!) and then I journaled the other day and I was so excited to make a list about what was going on in my life... I know that I'm completely OCD and out of control, two of my favorite characteristics about myself (if I can say that without being arrogant). I'm also maybe too okay with both of those things... however, I'll carry on with my blog, for your sake of course :)


This past weekend, I traveled to Kimberley, South Africa to visit Wagener and Jane and just hang out with them for the weekend. I had no idea I would meet so many other wonderful people as well! I'll give you a very brief history of how I know he two of them! I met Wagener three years ago in Zambia at the pastor's conference (the first time I came to Africa and before I realized how much my heart would love it!)... he was at the conference again last summer and so we have just kept in touch since. Jane and Wagener are co-workers and are both architects. Wagener's dad had written a Bible study that we began in the fall having kind of a cross-cultural/cross-planet cell group (online) and Jane was also a part of it (as well as Vanessa--aka my BFF in Vegas) so we just talked quite a bit and I hadn't actually met Jane until this past weekend, but she is completely wonderful and it was great to spend time with her.

I took a 7 hour bus trip to Kimberley, which ended up being more like 9, but either way... it was late. Thank you African transportation for that. When I got to Kimberley, I felt like I had been ran over by the bus as well, but that is beside the point. Wagener and Jane picked me up at the stop and took me back to the house to have some tea (if you are American, you have no idea how valuable this time is to them... and I'm being completely serious) and then we went to Jane's house for dinner with her family. I met her parents, both of her brothers, enjoyed a fabulous dinner, and had some great conversation with her family. I really felt like they had invited a close friend over... it was so great and her family was more than kind. On Saturday, we went to see "The Big Hole," the main tourist attraction of Kimberley. It began as a diamond mining town and so the big hole is the place where they literally made a giant hole (completely by hand) to search for diamonds. It was pretty cool, I have to admit... I was impressed with the enormity of this thing! Crazy! Frances, one of their friends, also joined us and we just took some fun pictures and chatted... what a complete sweetheart she was as well! We had lunch, talked, looked through the mall and just had a relaxing afternoon, which was really nice! Later that night, Wagener hosted a braii (South African barbeque or cookout) and had some friends over to play games and eat dinner. Sunday was full of meeting more of their friends and also seeing some of the places where they do minstry there in Kimberley. It was so good for me to meet these people earlier in the weekend and then see them in action in the things they love... they fed a group of homeless guys breakfast and coffee and shared the gospel and then I also got to see a church that has begun (mostly for kids) in an "informal settlement" right outside of Kimberley. They also have some initiatives and dreams and visions that have not started yet but they are all dreams simply because they trust Jesus and I just loved that!

All of that to say this.... to belong in a place and to feel that you belong is incredibly important. There were very, very few moments this past weekend when I felt out of place (and it was normally because I overanalyzed something or I was being ridiculous!). Otherwise, it was like I was a friend that they had known for a while and cared about. I think that this group of people represents an incredible picture of the church and of what community is about. Whether I was from Kimberley, or even from South Africa for that matter, seemed to make no difference to any of these people... it was the fact that we all had one thing in common... Jesus being the center of our lives and what we do. At the core of every conversation, every tea break, everything was Jesus. It didn't mean that they stood at the corner and preached a message everywhere or wore Jesus t-shirts... they just live out what they believe and they do it together, in a place where people can belong.

My question for myself was... where do I live this out? or rather, do I live this out at all? If people joined in with my group of friends, would they see that? Do people see that community in your life? This past weekend had some big moments for me and they were all centered around what God wants for me... that is the very best. I pray that you find your place "to belong" and may you be completely surrounded with people that love you and more importantly love Jesus with their entire being! Have a great week! -Melis

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement Melissa,
    I saw earlier this week on Twitter a quote that said something like "Everyone longs to find someone willing to lay down their life for them. So few people find them. But everyone has some-One who did." You're right! It's Jesus you recognize. We see the same thing with the friends in Potch, so open and just like Jesus. He is Good! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete