Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Eat. Pray. Love." Chaos & Empathy

I would like to be the first to admit that I am crazy obsessed with the movie, “Eat.Pray.Love.” The other day I was watching it (go figure), and a friend asked what I was doing. I told him and he made a comment that led me to believe he didn’t really care for it. He didn’t and that’s fine. I’m not so obsessed that I’m offended when people don’t like the same things I do. He asked me why I liked it and I told him that it’s because I can see so much of myself in her. Can you? Maybe I’m too empathetic. Actually, I am. I can watch almost any movie and read almost any book and find so much of myself in a few of the characters in it. I’ve realized over the last couple of years that not everyone does that and again, that’s fine. We do not all live in the same bubble where we see things the same… thank God, right? I can see myself as Liz (and maybe this is directly related to my obsession with “Pride & Prejudice” and the main character, Lizzie-just putting that out there). Aren’t we all on a search for something? Don’t we all want something more? We all want to understand the “art of doing nothing” because as Americans we are not good at this and we can be okay with recognizing that. Sorry, off subject… back to the point of this blog. I’m doing things a little backwards (clearly) so after watching the movie several times and staring at the sequel to the book in Target, I decided that I should read the book and make sure that the movie is correct (since Hollywood asks my opinions on these things-bahaha) so that I can read the sequel.

Needless to say, I bought the book today and started reading. The movie is not all right (shocking, I know) and that is always a little disappointing for me, almost like I thought they would be exactly the same. The book is detailed and specific and gives me visuals and yet, I can still appreciate that I can hear Julia Roberts in my head reading the book to me (if that weirds you out, don’t read the book… Elizabeth Gilbert talks to herself A LOT, just one of the many reasons why I am quickly becoming a fan). The movie is in a little bit of a different order because of the way the book is written (which is really interesting) and I like her preface to the book. She makes some bold statements about the discoveries in her life and I appreciate that she is that honest. Not many people are willing to be honest anymore because no one wants to hurt anyone’s feelings and I am of the belief that people are literally dying for us to be honest and use our voice to speak so yes, I like her honesty and the authenticity in which she writes the book. The book is divided into three sections, obviously based on the three places that she traveled to: Italy, India, and Indonesia. Mind you… I have only read through half of the Italy section and it has given me so much to think about that I needed to write to get it out because living by yourself doesn’t exactly allow for much reflection with others (if you get my drift).

In the movie and the book, she visits the “Augusteum” and tells the story of the Augusteum. It was built originally to house the remains of Augustus and his family from the Roman Empire but we know that didn’t last forever, so the remains were stolen… the city of Rome built up around it and it was used for a few different things after that (a Jewish hideaway, a public bathroom, a bullring, a concert hall, etc.). Elizabeth Gilbert makes this statement, “I look at the Augusteum, and I think that perhaps my life has not actually been so chaotic, after all. It is merely this world that is chaotic, bringing changes to us all that nobody could have anticipated.” (p. 75 just so that I’m not stealing what she wrote, I’m merely quoting her) What a statement! Hit me between the eyes somebody! I look at my life so often and my search for satisfaction and contentment and pleasure and find that life is just chaotic sometimes. I (as a Believer) find myself sometimes looking and asking God how in the world He could allow chaos to take place and I’m sure that He often looks at my life and says, “Hey Melissa! It’s the world in which you live that is chaotic! In Me, you find peace, satisfaction, contentment and fulfillment beyond belief!” The question is, what do I choose? As I’m overanalyzing, overthinking, and being dramatic (the usual), I realize that I must realize that the world is chaotic, it’s not always flattering and it doesn’t always feel good. However, I love the Maker of chaos, but the Maker of healing; the Author of contentment and peace, the Calmer of every storm and the Mender of every heartbreak. May your search end there. May you find a love like no other. May you love the God that created, blesses, takes away, and gives. He is willing, even in the chaos.

I’m willing to live there! Melis

“Even in the Eternal City, says the silent Augusteum, one must always be prepared for riotous and endless waves of transformation.” –Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat.Pray.Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment