Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 10 of 2010

I thought I would share the top things that I have learned this year, moments I have had, and other things of interest (at least to me) as we take off from this year (that we never thought would happen, right?) so here goes.... classic list form, of course. :)

1. Realizing that what breaks my heart must break the very core of who God is and I have been sent to do something about it... in obedience to Him.

2. Obedience to God must be at the center of all that I do, without it I am completely lost, sunk, up the stream without a paddle, etc. I must also be obedient in the small things because this is where God uses me for the big things....aka my friend, Tony, in Reno and the friendship we have been able to have because of teaching, where we see students thrive and the desire that we both have for students to be able to dream again (as well as us).

3. God desires to use me exactly where He places me. I tend to question those places, He tends to challenge me in those places.

4. My students last year (I loved and adored!) and over this school year, I have seen and been a part of the following things in their life: Valerie's quince, Jocelyne's baby shower, them joining me for feeding the homeless again this year, seeing God completely change David's life, and getting to have some of their brothers and sisters in my class this school year (and their ex-boyfriends and girlfriends which becomes quite hilarious). Oh yeah, and the "in" with a family that I love dearly and now have the 3rd sibiling... holy cow, God has given me so much favor.

5. Sometimes I just need to stop and embrace the moment that I am in, rather than rushing ahead for all of the things that I can barely forsee happening.

6. Loneliness absolutely sucks in a million, trillion different ways... Yet God has used my greatest moments of loneliness to restore relationships and truly heal me of a broken heart. He has also been restoring my trust of the church with the faithfulness of those whom I have known before as well as so many people that He has placed in my path since then.

7. Reading through the first few books of the Old Testament and seeing how much God LOVES the details of my life and how much He desires me to glorify Him in everyone of them.

8. I have gotten to a place where there are so many things, as Jake would say, "that I am sick and tired of" and I learning where my passions truly are. Thanking God as well for placing people in my life who have seen my passions and encouraged me and called me out in the midst of it all.

9. Some things that I thought would happen just haven't and you know what? That's okay because as you can see above that I have been used, moved and changed in 2010 and I expect even more in the new year.

10. I wish I could show you pictures of the faces that I have seen changed this year, they are countless and numerous all at the same time. They would include my students, people in Africa, my family, my friends and most importantly, me. I have been changed by the things this year just as much as I have changed the people around me. Change truly is a full circle thing... and I know that I have another dose coming in 2011.

I'm excited for all that it holds and I'm keeping my expectations as well as letting go of some. May you be moved, changed, and turned around in the coming year as I know I will be. What a faithful God we serve. May you be called to action as I have been...

-Melis

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, Great list. Anyone, at any stage of life can find encouragement in your list. God bless and keep up the good work.
    Brett

    ReplyDelete